Fruits and vegetables - nature's beauty products
From canteloupe skin cream to bananas for your hair
Everyone understands the health benefits of eating fresh fruits and vegetables. However, few people think about using those very same items to make healthy, all natural beauty products. However, the truth is that both fruits and vegetables are chock full of antioxidants and valuable vitamins, minerals, and nutrients like vitamin A, B, C, D and E, carotenoids, co enzyme Q 10, phytonutrients, polyphenols, potassium, selenium, and zinc to name a few.
Combined with other ingredients, fruits and vegetables are extremely useful in making some of the best facial masques, skin creams, bath treatments, and skin ointments that can be found anywhere.
Fruits such as bananas, berries, cantaloupe, grapes, lemons, oranges, peaches, and pineapple can be used to make facial masks, luxurious skin creams, cosmetics and anti-aging products. Vegetables like avocados, carrots, cucumbers, greens, peppers, potatoes, and tomatoes have similar valuable uses. Below are some examples:article continued
- Avocado is packed with properties that naturally help the skin in its own collagen production.
- Banana has natural oils that work perfectly as skin softeners while the fruit’s rich vitamins and nutrients are wonderful for improving hair’s elasticity.
- Beans of differing varieties can be useful in fighting off the first signs of aging.
- Blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries are packed with antioxidants as well as their own natural anti-inflammatory properties. Used in skin cream, they can help soothe skin while repairing surface cells.
- Cantaloupe makes a soothing skin cream that ensures a radiant and glowing complexion.
- Carrots are rich in beta-carotene, which can help smooth rough skin patches.
- Cucumbers have long been known to help in the reduction of dark circles underneath the eyes.
- Garlic can help stave off signs of aging by jumpstarting new tissue regeneration.
- Grapes contain polyphernols, which hydrate both the hair and skin.
- Greens are rich in antioxidants that reduce skin inflammation and prevent cell damage.
- Lemons act as a natural skin bleach and softener. Used on rough elbows, knees, or foot calluses lemon can help even out skin color and make skin softer and more supple.
- Peaches are chock full of antioxidants and nutrients that work to protect skin from damaging UV rays.
- Peppers help increase circulation and work well in cosmetics to plump up the lips.
- Pineapple contains a powerful enzyme that helps eliminate dead skin while protecting it from free radicals.
- Potato helps to alleviate dark circles underneath the eyes.
- Strawberries are a natural tooth whitener.
- Sweet potatoes are great for helping to stop the signs of aging.
- Tomato is rich in lycopene which helps to fight free radicals, and its vitamin C boosts collagen production.
- Watermelon helps to soothe sunburn and makes minor skin repairs by encouraging tissue regeneration.
Ingested or used in creams, masques, and ointments it is clear that Mother Nature still makes the products that work best to make our lives more comfortable as well as more fulfilling.
Look for my other articles on using kitchen pantry items to make homemade beauty products, and watch for future installments focusing on the health and beauty benefits of fruits and vegetables!
Got something to say?
We are looking for authors! Submit an article.
How an icy blast can do you good!
How extra vitamins can make for beautiful skin and hair
Dyeing your hair on your own? Read this guide first
A guide to the ingredients in so-called 'mineral makeup'
Skincare products and advice for healthy summer skin
Our bodies need sunlight - but you have to be careful